This is another freezer meal. I tend to make three or four at a time when meatballs are on sale (or I have a coupon—or both) and freeze them. I got the recipe from a website that wanted to use fresh greens but that seemed wrong to me. For the pasta, any small pasta works. Where I live, I can purchase little Texas-shaped pasta from Skinner that is perfect but mini-shells are good, too. Not orzo though, as it’s too tiny.
Italian Wedding Soup
- 12 oz frozen small meatballs (about 24)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp steak seasoning (Montreal or similar)
- 2 1-qt boxes chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 c uncooked small pasta
- Label a one-gallon freezer bag.
- Put all ingredients except pasta and broth into the bag.
- Freeze mostly flat (meatballs don’t flatten well).
- Thaw the bag overnight in your fridge.
- Place the contents of the bag in a slow cooker with the broth.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Add the pasta, turn up to HIGH and cook 30 minutes or until pasta is tender.