This takes time. And a stove-to-oven Dutch oven. But it is so worth it. Beer adds flavor along with the onions, bacon and bay. Good to make while you’re meal prepping lunches.
Beer and Onion Roast Beast
- 3 lb roast (any kind)
- kosher salt
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 12 oz bottle beer
- 2 c beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350. Heat ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high.
- When the pan is hot, add 3 Tbsp oil.
- Sprinkle roast generously with salt.
- Sear the meat on all sides, about 8 minutes total (90 seconds per side). Remove meat to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve for garnish.
- Add onions, garlic and bay leaves, and cook until slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Add beer, stir until thickened.
- Return browned meat to pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and braise about 3.5 hours, flipping halfway through.