This is a recipe that includes potatoes so you only need to add a salad or vegetable to have a full meal. I slice the onions and potatoes and mix the sauce while the bratwurst is cooking. The idea is to get some of the fat out so that it isn’t in the slow cooker when you serve it.
Spicy German Bratwurst
- 10 bratwurst links
- 2 onions, cut in half crosswise, then sliced thinly, so as to make strings
- 3 russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle beer
- 1/2 c chili sauce
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 1/2 c cider vinegar
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Prick bratwurst
- Cook for 15 minutes in water, Remove brats and discard water
- Layer potatoes and onions in slow cooker.
- Place bratwurst on top of potatoes and onions.
- Combine remaining ingredients, stir well.
- Pour over everything in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on LOW 7-8 hours.