I don’t speak Italian, but the woman I got this recipe from (Annie, whose Italian name is Anna Maria and a maiden name I can’t spell) says this is Italian for “Tuscan Soup” and that it isn’t authentic but is patterned after the kind of soups they sometimes serve in Tuscany. By which she means it has sausage, greens and cream. This is a low carb version that I’m unclear if she originated or merely passed on.
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 lb mild pork breakfast sausage
- 1.5 c chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 qts chicken stock
- 4 c loosely packed kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 c cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1.5 c heavy cream
- Fry bacon in medium/large skillet.
- Remove to paper towels.
- In same skillet, fry sausage, breaking up as it cooks; set aside.
- In large Dutch oven, cook onions in oil until clear and tender.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add stock.
- Add bacon, then sausage.
- Add cauliflower; cook until cauliflower is soft (about 15 minutes).
- add heavy cream.
- Add kale.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes.