This got its name because everything except the chicken is one unit in the recipe and I was told: “any idiot can make this” (although I’ve known some folks who would probably find this recipe challenging). Often we buy one can of diet soda from a machine at the grocery store for $.25 but if you can’t do that, 2 liters is generally inexpensive enough that you don’t mind wasting the rest if you have no takers on the left-overs.
Idiot’s Orange Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 2 breasts) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c ketchup
- 1 can (12 oz) diet orange soda
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger (or ginger paste from a jar or tube)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 bag frozen 3-pepper and onion blend
- crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
- Put chicken in Dutch oven.
- Pour ketchup and soda over chicken. Stir.
- Add garlic, ginger, sesame seed oil and red pepper and cook over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through and sauce begins to thicken.
- Add frozen vegetables. Stir well and cook until vegetables are done to your liking and sauce is thicker again.
- Serve over brown rice.