This is a side you can make in your crockpot. The color is pretty because of the red cabbage. It’s also mostly no-fuss. Some stores carry pre-shredded red cabbage from Dole. One bag is sufficient. Golden syrup is a specific thing and use it if you have it, but honey is okay if you don’t.
Red Cabbage with Orange and Caraway Seeds
- 1/2 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- juice from one orange
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp golden syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water to form a paste (optional to thicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients except cornstarch paste in a 4-qt slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW.
- If desired, add cornstarch mixture to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste