This can be made mild or spicy depending on the sausage you use and the kind of chili powder. My family likes it mild so we use the mild sausage and the regular chili powder. You can also amp it up with cayenne.
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped (not shredded)
- 1 lb pork sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Put the cabbage in a large Dutch oven and cover with water by one inch.
- Cook for 15 minutes over medium until just tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onion until the sausage is brown.
- Add garlic salt, chili powder, tomatoes, salt, and pepper, mix well.
- Add the sausage mixture to the cabbage. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.