This is a traditional food for New Year’s Day but we sometimes have it other times, too.
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 c chopped ham
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c veggie broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 c long grain white rice
- 2 15-oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- Heat oil on medium. Add chopped onion, cook 2 minutes. Add ham and garlic. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth, raise heat to high. Add 1/2 c water. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil
- Add rice, stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer till rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- While rice cooks, drain and rinse blackeyed peas; set aside.
- When rice is done, add peas and tomatoes with juice. Cook, stirring till thoroughly mixed.
- Serve when heated through.