This got its name from our serving it at a celebration of Jules Verne’s writings at our local bookstore. The orange is the secret ingredient. Omit if you’re allergic—my older daughter is, and when she’s visiting, we leave it out.
Jules Verne Cider
- 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp whole allspice
- 1 Tbsp whole cloves
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 2 dashes nutmeg
- 1 whole orange
- Pour cider into stock pot or large Dutch oven that can hold 1 gallon
- Stir in brown sugar.
- In a clean sock or tea steeper, put spices and tie shut with a string
- Cut orange in half and place cut side down in cider.
- Heat to simmer, cover, and simmer for an hour.