A brunchy casserole is a holiday tradition with warm cider while gifts are shared. My kids insist that this is what a hobbit has for second breakfast as it can cook while the first breakfast is digesting. My son is allergic to the rind from the Brie, so I freeze it and remove the rind (not emergency-room allergic, but unpleasant symptom allergic). Brie happens to be my husband’s favorite cheese so this lets us enjoy it without complications.
Hobbit’s Second Breakfast Casserole
- 1 8-oz wheel Brie cheese
- 1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 12 slices thin white bread
- 1.5 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 7 eggs
- 3 c heavy cream
- 2 c milk
- 1.5 Tbsp dried sage
- 1.5 tsp dry mustard
- 1.5 tsp seasoned salt
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Spray 13″ x 9″ pan with cooking spray
- Freeze Brie for 30 minutes, trim rind and cut into 1/4″ cubes
- Cook the sausage in a skillet on medium-high, breaking up lumps.
- Layer bread in the bottom of prepared pan.
- Scatter sausage, Brie and Parmesan over the bread.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs.
- Add cream, milk, sage, mustard and seasoned salt.
- Whisk to combine and pour evenly over the casserole.
- Bake 50 minutes or until the mixture is set. Serve hot.