Kale exists for colcannon. I don’t like kale in most things. I think it’s hard to justify its existence. But colcannon is good eats. Always.
Do use unsalted butter and heavy cream. Add in the salt to taste, as potatoes will require an amount of salt, but unsalted butter tends to be fresher.
- 2 - 2.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 3 c loosely packed kale or cabbage or other green
- 3 scallions, minced (about 1/2 c)
- 1 c heavy cream
- Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 Tbsp salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil 15-20 minutes, till fork-tender, drain in colander.
- Melt 3/4 stick butter in pot over medium heat.
- Add the greens and cook till wilted, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in cream, mix well. Add potatoes.
- Mash with masher or fork, mixing potatoes with greens.
- Salt to taste and serve with additional butter.