Do be careful about sealing the top. And also about the cooling time. This is good as leftovers.
Russian Cabbage Pie
- 2 Tbsp butter (plus more as needed)
- 1 medium or 1/2 large head cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 medium onion, sliced and ringed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 6 eggs
- 1 c sour cream
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.25 c flour
- Heat oven to 375. Lightly butter a glass or ceramic 13″ x 9″ pan.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage and onion.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; cook about 10 minutes, or until cabbage is tender, but do not brown.
- Remove from heat. Add dill; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, hard cook 3 of the eggs. When they are done, peel and coarsely chop. Add to cabbage/onion mixture and let cool while you make the batter.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise and remaining 3 eggs. Add baking powder and flour, mix until smooth.
- Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Top with cabbage mixture. Spread the remaining batter over the top, using your fingers or a spoonula to make sure there are no gaps.
- Bake for 45 minutes; it will be shiny and golden brown.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. May be eaten warm or at room temperature.