My former neighbor, “Eric’s mom” said this recipe came from “a restaurant” but she never said which one (or if she did, it was one I didn’t go to so the name escapes me). I don’t know if she means it was a copycat recipe or what, but it’s very tasty and easy to make (so I doubt it’s legit — do restaurants make this quantity of soup?). My family has tried several recipes for this kind of soup and this one has stuck with us.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 12-oz bag frozen broccoli cuts or florets
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 pint water
- 1 lb Velveeta or store-brand cheese loaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 c water
- Cook broccoli in microwave.
- On low heat (or a double boiler if you have electric) combine half-and-half, water and cheese.
- Heat until all the cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then broccoli.
- Mix cornstarch and water and add to the soup; heat until thickened.