This can be made ahead and frozen, or you can make two and freeze one. Do use chunky applesauce as it gives texture to the topping. Unlike most apple recipes, this calls for mustard instead of cinnamon. Don’t be alarmed, it’s very tasty, in a way reminiscent of other Dijon-type dishes.
Pork Loaf with Applesauce Glaze
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 c bread crumbs
- 1.5 c chunky applesauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
This is a freezer meal that can be prepared ahead of time or cooked right away.
- Saute onion in butter until soft.
- Combine onion, bread crumbs, 1 c applesauce, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add ground pork and mix until combined.
- Place in quart-sized freezer bag.
- Combine 1/2 c applesauce and mustard, place in smaller bag.
- Staple tops of bags together, careful not to puncture food part.
- Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 375. Place meat in greased loaf pan.
- Spread applesauce-mustard mixture over top.
- Cover with foil. Place on baking sheet and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 30 minutes longer.