Yes, there is chocolate in this recipe. No, don’t let it put you off. It’s traditional for mole and it really enhances the flavor. This is a kind of stewish dish that is traditional, though adapted to be easy to make by using a chili seasoning mix. Use a Tex-Mex chili mix, not a Cincinnati-style one.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 pkg chili seasoning mix
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can chili hot beans
- 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in seasoning mix, both tomatoes and beans.
- Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.
- Stir in chocolate just until melted.
- Serve with tortillas.