I think most cooks have a favorite way of frying cabbage. I actually tend to use smoked paprika nowadays because my kitchen tends to have more of it on hand, but regular paprika is how I used to make it. I use my heavy stockpot because a head of cabbage starts out pretty big but some people have Dutch ovens equipped to handle the load. Do what works for you.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onions and Garlic
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Place bacon in large Dutch oven or heavy stock pot.
- Cook over medium till crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic, cook and stir about 10 minutes till the onion caramelizes.
- Immediately stir in cabbage and cook and stir 10 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer.
- Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.