My family likes the soups with the wilted greens. They’re healthy, too.
This could be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth and the vegetable bacon substitute bits as garnish. Also, you can get regular spinach and coarsely chop it.
Beans and Greens Chowder
- 3 c chicken broth
- 3 c chopped onion
- 2 cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag frozen cut okra
- 1.5 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp savory
- 2 c fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Combine all ingredients except spinach, salt, pepper and bacon in slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH 3 hours.
- Add spinach and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon.