Improvise. We had ingredients. And rice bowls are a Thing. If you want to kick it up a notch, use a can of tomatoes with green chiles instead of the fire-roasted. Honestly, I double it for those times when we have been doing heavy work, like building fence or whatnot.
Houston-Style Rice Bowl
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 c frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 c homemade barbecue sauce
- 3 c hot cooked brown or Texmati rice
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Cook meat with onions in large skillet, drain off any grease.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, corn and barbecue sauce, mix well.
- Simmer on medium-low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Distribute rice among four bowls. Top with beef mixture, then a slice of cheese.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions.