This is a pretty, Italian-inspired soup. It has the green of spinach and the red of tomatoes so it can be served to brighten up otherwise colorless meals. The pasta means it can be served as a meal with maybe some breadsticks or garlic toasts. For those who insist on meat, some crumbled sausage or tiny meatballs could be added.
Spinach Pasta Soup
- 1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed
- cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- garlic to taste, about 2-3 cloves
- 1 carton chicken broth or stock
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8 oz small pasta
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a few grinds of pepper
- 1 egg
- Cook the onion and garlic in the oil. Add 4c water and the broth and bring to a boil
- Add tomatoes, spinach, and sugar. Stir well.
- Add pasta. Cook for time on package for “al dente”.
- Combine Parmesan salt pepper and eggs in a small bowl, drizzle over soup, stirring and cook for 2 minutes.