This is a procedure, more than a recipe, but it’s tasty as all heck. My mama made it, her mama made it and I’m not sure where it originated. My mother couldn’t cook at all well, but this was something she made that was actually tasty. It was one of the two ways she made cucumbers (the other involved sour cream and I didn’t care for it so I never learned it).
Mom’s Cucumber Salad
- 1-2 cucumbers per person, use smaller firmer ones that are less likely to have hard seeds
- 1 small red onion
- Lots of salt
- granulated sugar
- apple cider vinegar, raw is better but pasteurized is okay
- Peel and slice the cucumbers. Thinner is better, but it’s more important they be uniform in size.
- Slice the onion into rings or strings, your preference
- Put both in a large bowl and toss with a tablespoon of salt.
- Refrigerate a few hours.
- Pour off any liquid that accumulates.
- Repeat a few times.
- After pouring off the liquid, sprinkle with sugar.
- Splash with vinegar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Taste. Adjust sugar and vinegar until the taste is right.