For those who are not familiar with Vernor’s, it is not your average ginger ale. It has a zing to it. That zing is what makes this roast work. You’ve probably seen the cola roasts or the Dr Pepper roasts barbecues, etc. This is similar but different. The flour and gravy mix give it nice sauce. The entire point of this recipes is that you can cook with Vernor’s. I’m not sure what other ginger ales would taste like. If you have a very gingery soda then feel free to substitute but most mass-market ginger ales don’t have a strong flavor and you might as well use lemon-lime or seltzer water for all that they bring to the recipe.
Vernor’s Roast Beef
- 3 lb beef roast
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix (the kind that makes one cup)
- 2 c Vernor's ginger ale
- Coat the roast with flour, reserving any that doesn’t stick.
- Place roast in slow cooker.
- Combine remaining flour, soup mix and gravy mix in a bowl.
- Add Vernor’s, mix well.
- Pour sauce over beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours