This is a good way to infuse bratwurst with flavor so they don’t require any condiments at serving time. They are very delicate coming out of the slow cooker and it’s very easy to break them. This is a good use for classic brats–the beer flavored ones aren’t an advantage in this recipe. If you don’t need to watch your fat, there are other ways to prepare brats.
- 8 bratwurst links
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 12-oz bottle or can beer (lager is good)
- 1 c chili sauce
- 1 c ketchup
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Prick brats with fork. Place brats in water-filled skillet, bring to boil and boil ten minutes to release fat.
- Drain brats.
- Place brats in bottom of slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except onion) in bowl and pour over brats.
- Place onion on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Remove carefully and serve on buns.