You can make the sauce while the water for the pasta is heating. If you use turkey or turkey Italian sausage, you don’t need to drain it, but if you use regular Italian sausage or ground beef, you do. You can add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste to this as well — whatever you have on hand.
Pasta with Peasant Sauce
- 1 lb (approximately) ground beef, Italian sausage, ground turkey or turkey sausage
- 1 onion
- garlic to taste
- bell pepper (optional)
- fresh or canned mushrooms (optional)
- 1 chopped zucchini (optional)
- 1 jar or large can pasta sauce
- 1 Tbsp basil pesto
This is more a method than a recipe.
- Brown the meat.Drain off any fat.
- Add vegetables. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Add pasta sauce and pesto if using
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium/low heat until heated through.