This is a chili recipe with a tamale-type crust cooked in a baking dish to make a “pie”. The dish is square because we don’t cut corners, as s the saying goes. If the idea of chili beans and Ro-tel is too intense for you, sub in fire-roasted diced tomatoes or even regular diced tomatoes. Chili beans are beans in chili sauce — the kind of chili sauce that lives in the condiment aisle near the ketchup in US grocers. I suppose you could sub red or pinto beans, drained and rinsed, with chili sauce to fill one can if your store doesn’t carry chili beans. I usually make this with leftover Slow Cooker Smoked Pork Butt but any cooked pork will do. You could also make it with leftover brisket (if such a thing exists).
Pork Shoulder Tamale Pie
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 c shredded, cooked pork shoulder
- 2 15-oz can chili beans, one drained, one not
- 110-oz can tomatoes with green chilis such as Ro-tel
- 6 oz beer
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c cornmeal
- 2/3 c milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c shredded Cheddar cheese
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 375
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil; when it’s shimmering add onion and garlic.
- Saute until slightly translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add beer, pork, beans, Ro-tel, chili powder, lime juice, cumin, cocoa, and salt.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, while you prepare the crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, milk, butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, and eggs, until just lump-free.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Spray an 8″ square pan with cooking spray.
- Taste the filling and season with additional salt if needed.
- Fill the dish 3/4 full of chili mixture and top with cornmeal mixture, spreading evenly over the top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.