My husband, who rarely has word one to say about my cooking, told me these were “friggin awesome” when I made them the first time. The sauce evolved from the discovery I had no barbecue sauce handy, not even the standby of half-and-half cola or Dr Pepper and ketchup (makes sense, we’re not big cola drinkers here–I prefer to do the Dew). The slaw borrows from the slaw for Fish Taco Bowls but does not have green Tabasco, as that’s not the kind of recipe this is.
- 3 large onions, sliced thickly into rounds, then broken into rings
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3-4 lb beef brisket (trimmed weight, start with a larger one and remove as much fat as you can)
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/3 c ketchup
- 1/4 c water
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 c real mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (cabbage / carrot blend)
- 1 package (10) soft taco flour tortillas
- Spray large slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Layer onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, paprika, 1 Tbsp salt, and pepper until blended.
- Rub this all over into the brisket; place in slow cooker. Sprinkle any leftover rub on top.
- In small mixing bowl, stir brown sugar, ketchup, water and cider vinegar until thoroughly blended., pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- In medium mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lime juice, 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add coleslaw mix. Refrigerate until needed.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board; let rest ten minutes. This step is important.
- Heat tortillas as directed on package.
- Shred or slice brisket; divide among tortillas.
- Top with coleslaw.