I’ve heard recipes like this referred to as “chuckwagon stew” also What makes it a cowboy stew is that it has baked beans in it. This one is made in the slow cooker so the flavors have a good long time to meld.
- 1.5 lbs stew beef
- 3 lbs unpeeled russet potatoes cut into 1" pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 28-oz can baked beans in barbecue sauce
- Combine all ingredients except beans in large slow cooker.
- Spread beans over mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.