This is one of those recipes that different people make their own way. The queso is our way of doing it–many people use taco sauce and/or salsa and shredded cheese. This was less messy with toddlers to scoop into a bowl and put in front of them (in my experience anyway–I hated trying to comb half-dried shredded cheese out of toddler hair, whereas washing out queso was much easier).
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2-3 onions, chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers, any color, chopped
- salt and chili powder to taste
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 8oz bars)
- 1 16 oz jar chunky salsa
- Cook onions, peppers and beef until as cooked as you want, drain. Add salt and chili powder.
- Meanwhile, cube cream cheese and combine with salsa. Microwave for 3-5 minutes stirring after every minute until cheese is melted (depends on power of microwave)
- Layer in bowls as follows: lettuce, tortilla chips (lightly crushed), meat mixture then queso.