Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with lamb or mutton — if you make it with beef it’s supposed to be called “cottage pie” but that tradition has slipped. I find that mixing some cheese in with the mashed potatoes is tasty. You can use flavored mashed potatoes, too. My kids are fond of the ones with bacon. I prefer making the gravy from the mix as it seems to taste better to my palate than the kind from the jar.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pouches mashed potatoes
- 1 envelope 2-c brown gravy mix (or 2 c beef gravy)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 c frozen corn kernels
- 1 c frozen peas & carrots blend
- 2 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Heat oven to 375.
- Prepare potatoes as directed on package. Stir in 1 c cheddar.
- Make gravy in 4c measuring cup if using a mix.
- Meanwhile, brown meat in large skillet; drain.
- Add vegetables and gravy to meat; mix well.
- Spoon into 13″x9″ baking dish; cover with prepared potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake 25 to 35 min. or until heated through and lightly browned.