Yes, my slow cooker has a lid, but the aroma gets out anyway. My house smells amazing when I make this. I have recipes that call for barbecued pork and my plan is to feed the family some on buns with sauce and save the rest for cooking. Yes, you do use the whole bottle of liquid smoke. I have a rub recipe I may share someday, but today is not that day.
Slow-Cooker Smoked Pork Butt
- 1 butt, cut into chunks
- 1/4 c rub (your own recipe or use a purchased rub)
- 1 bottle liquid smoke
- Put the chunks of butt into a large slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with rub, turning the pieces to coat evenly.
- Add the smoke.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours.
- Remove meat to foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet
- When cool enough to handle, shred.
- Use as you would any barbecued pork–serve on buns with sauce or use in recipes.