Do not buy the pre-sliced mushrooms–it works much better to slice them yourself. It’s extra work, but worth it. Also, this is really, really good on potato-bread buns if your grocer has them.
Steakhouse Burger Sloppy Joes
- 1 c chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced thinly (not pre-sliced from the store)
- 1 c white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 8 buns
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- In small bowl, mix stock, steak sauce and mustard; set aside.
- in large skillet, cook beef until browned; drain and set aside in bowl.
- Add butter to any drippings in skillet, add onion, mushrooms, and steak seasoning.
- Cook 7-8 minutes, until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Cook 1-2 minutes, or until flour browns and begins to smell nutty.
- Return beef to pan and stir in stock mixture.
- Return to simmer; cook 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Place 1/3 c mixture on bun, top with 1 Tbsp cheese and top of bun.