Actually, when I make this, I don’t use bell pepper but use two onions. My daughter doesn’t like the taste of bell peppers.
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb smoked sausage or polska kielbasa, sliced into half-moons
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can red or kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 14.5 oz can diced or petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- white or brown rice
- Cook rice in rice cooker or according to package directions.
- Cook sausage over low heat for 8-10 minutes in large skillet.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until tender; drain, if necessary.
- Add beans, tomatoes and seasonings and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice.