I think every cook has their secret recipe for this dish. My secrets are the 1/2 envelope of onion soup mix and the 2-c brown gravy mix. This was an “Eric’s mom” recipe. I used to know her name, but it’s been several moves since we lived in adjacent apartments and Eric was my son’s playmate. For reference, that son is now a doctor of mathematics at the University of Texas at Arlington and has a son of his own.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 c fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/2 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 2-c envelope brown gravy mix
- Combine meat, bread crumbs, milk and onion soup mix in large bowl.
- Shape into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place big skillet on medium and add patties. Cook uncovered 5 minutes.
- Whisk gravy mix with 2 c. water in measuring cup.
- Flip patties, cover skillet and cook 5 more minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Uncover skillet, reduce to low, add gravy and cook about 5 more minutes or until patties are no longer pink inside.
- Simmer until ready to serve.